Hardware Product Development
About us: iconic brand, tiny company
Polaroid was founded in 1937 by one of the most seminal innovators of the 20th century, Edwin Land. His motto was, “don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible.” In 2008, Polaroid shuttered its last factory but a group of diehard fans came together as The Impossible Project to save instant film. Over 10 years later that startup acquired what was left of Polaroid and today we’re again a small group of people passionate about empowering creators to change the world in the name of Polaroid.
What we are building: tools for creators
Throughout its 80-year history, Polaroid was at its best when we made tools for people to express themselves, push boundaries and move culture forward. In the next decade, we are getting back to this purpose. We're not solving small problems, and we're not addressing a small market; our goal is to make products that will make the world more meaningful and human.
As Program Manager you will be fully responsible for executing instant photography project planning. Including controlling the schedule, cost, quality, regulatory and safety targets together with all relevant stakeholders during the development of instant cameras. You will collaborate closely with our Product Marketing, Industrial Design, and other Product Development teams located in Amsterdam, London, and Taipei. Your role may also interact with external engineering partners in Asia and Europe, so you are excited to learn about different engineering subjects and grasp the new design concepts.
Objectives of the role:
- Central point of knowledge relating to the project, managing related risks and opportunities
- To monitor project schedules, identify a critical path and ensure work is completed on time
- To manage expectations and ensure the defined product requirements are being addressed
- To bring visibility to stakeholders by communicating the project status and required actions
- To help further professionalise our development activities and support the team to improve
- Manage the master schedule, with program governance and daily program management
- Manage the budget for all project expenditures (including NRE, tooling cost, MOH…etc.)
- Manage risks, taking corrective measurements, coordinating action plans and escalations
- Manage the problem analysis and solving process, providing resolution and any validation
- Manage stakeholder communication and lead multi-disciplinary global core team meetings
- Manage documentation, such as the project schedule, program initiation document, issue tracking, change requests, lesson learnt using company tools e.g., Windchill and/or JIRA
- Support engineering to understand product requirements, as a bridge to product owners
- Ensure deliverables are in place and meet acceptance criteria for each development build
- Ensure material readiness and preparation for each build, set up DM and maintain BOM cost in collaboration with sourcing, SC and MFG teams
- Own the progress of each engineering development builds EVT, DVT, TP, PP and MP for driving Design Review Process and outcomes to meet the planning scope, schedule and intended business launch goal for each build
- Own the certification process (submission and completion) of all products both safety and regulatory and ensure they comply with regional regulations before product launch
- Partner with external resource/CMs/ODM and Suppliers to ensure our designs are optimized from development phase till mass production and continuously improve the product quality
The ideal candidate
- Passion for photography and an interest in how camera systems work
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Technical/Engineering/Science/Design/Business fields
- 5+ years relevant experience in technical program management, PMP certification a bonus
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, including Microsoft Project or similar tools
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering concepts (system device behavior, failure analysis)
- Clear, effective verbal and written communication with the ability to actively listen
- Problem solver, team player, strong intercultural and interdisciplinary communication
- Comfortable exercising judgment and using analytical skills in challenging situations
- Outstanding attention to detail combined with the ability to see the big picture
- Skilled in negotiating and problem-solving with both internal & external stakeholders
- Quick learner in a changing environment; proactive in finding information when necessary
What to expect
This is a full-time role based in our Taipei office. You will be reporting to the Program Manager Team Lead, working closely with Product Marketing, Design, and other Product Development teams.
If you’d like to be considered for the role, please email your CV and letter of motivation with any other relevant information to the recruiting line manager Max Li (firstname.lastname@example.org), and our Head of Analogue Hardware (and Taiwan Managing Director) Alain Hon (email@example.com).
Applications must be accompanied by a personalized letter of motivation, or they will not be considered